Mike serves as lead counsel to governmental, multiemployer, and corporate benefit plans, including pension, 401(k), health, apprenticeship, and he counsels clients on the full range of pension and welfare plan designs and issues. He provides practical advice and solutions regarding legal compliance, fiduciary responsibility, and tax-related issues. He also leads the firm’s litigation practice, including complex ERISA class actions, fiduciary breach claims, withdrawal liability issues, and collection matters.
Mike’s work includes:
- Drafting benefit plan and trust provisions, notices, investment policies, claims procedures, and other operational documents to assist plans in complying with legal requirements under ERISA, the Tax Code, and other applicable laws
- Counseling to ensure compliance with fiduciary responsibility in investment decisions and claims processing
- Negotiating investment and third-party service contracts
- Analyzing withdrawal liability issues for multiemployer plans
- Litigation and arbitration of employee benefit claims, ERISA class actions, withdrawal liability matters, U.S. Department of Labor actions, and collections cases
- Successful pre-litigation advocacy to obtain recovery and otherwise obtain clients’ desired results without litigation
When not at MMPL, Mike hopes that you’ll find him out somewhere on his bike.