Ellen serves as lead counsel for clients in a full spectrum of retirement plans and health & welfare plans, such as 401(k), pension, annuity, defined contribution, and deferred compensation plans, as well as VEBA-funded, uninsured and insured healthcare, disability, and fringe benefit plans. Her clients are in industries ranging from retail to energy to construction and include plans maintained by Fortune 50 and 500 companies, nonprofits, governments, and regional Taft-Hartley boards of trustees. Ellen’s work includes:
- Documenting fiduciary best practices, such as board delegations of authority and committee protocols and bylaws
- Drafting plan documents and trust agreements, summary plan descriptions and modifications, and policies such as audit and collections, and QDRO procedures
- Negotiating service provider contracts, such as consultant, investment, and administrator contracts
- Advising on investment transactions and transitions as well as investment policies, structure, and notices
- Consulting on plan and corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Defending against governmental audits and participant claims, and making Plan correction submissions to the IRS
Ellen focused on tax law before dedicating her practice to ERISA and employee benefits. She enjoys hiking, biking, and playing bridge and pickleball.